Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Swirly glitter accent tutorial

Hey everyone! We have started doing weekly tutorials for Mo's facebook page and we are going to try to do them on Tuesdays so you know which day to watch for them and today is my day, lucky you! I have decided to show you how to make those little swirly things that people use in their flower arrangements, I don't know what they are called but anything with glitter grabs my attention!

Okay, lets get started! First of all you will need white glue which I thinned out a bit with some water, just enough to make it not overly thick. I use coated wire from the floral section of the local craft store, I think the glitter sticks to it better then plain wire, some wire snips, something to wrap your wire around (I use a knitting needle but a paintbrush handle, pen etc would work fine) and glitter. I have used both Distress Glitter and MS glitter so you can see the difference in the two.

So first I cut a length of wire about 5 or 6 inches long, doesn't have to be specific, and wrap it around my knitting needle leaving a tail to hold onto.

Dip it into my glue and let the excess drip off then sprinkle with glitter and let it dry. I set mine on a non stick craft mat to prevent it from sticking when I go to pick it up. And here is what they look like, the Distress Glitter is on the left, you can see it is a bit more matte looking and the MS glitter is on the right, I prefer it as it really sparkles.

Okay, doesn't get much simpler then this. Just make sure you let most of the glue drip off before you add the glitter or you will have a lump of glitter instead of a twirly thing!

10 comments:

Shona Erlenborn said...

What a fun idea! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

Lynn (aka Lynnpenguin) said...

OMG...seriously...how fun is this? I'm sooooo glad I saw your blog post today Amanda...thank you, thank you, thank you...guess what I'm doing today along with my colouring?? LOL

Erla Maria said...

Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

Ginger said...

Great idea, thanks so much for sharing.

Janie Printz said...

You're amazing my crafty little friend !!! Always wondered how to do this. Do you use a specific kind of glue or just anything water based.
Janie

Patty Sue 2 said...

Since I love playing with glitter, I can't wait to try this. It is impressive to know that a simple thing can look so beautiful!

Tracy said...

Well of course this is glittery. I wouldn't expect anything else. :-) Great tute Amanda. Hugs!

Pat said...

Oh Amanda...you are the clever one!! I may just have to try this....but glitter? I'm a terror with glitter!!! LOL! What a great tute! You rock, sistah!!! Hugs. Pat

Maria@Crafty Cre8tions said...

Awesome Amanda! Thanks for showing us!!!!!!

Mau xx said...

Now why would you do a GLITTER tute....lol She should name you glitter gal :o))
A brilliant twizzle tute Amanda. Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog, I need all the encouragement I can get at present.
Huge hugs Mau xx